Saturday 18 May 2019

Tidying Up With Marie Kondo

When this show first appeared on Netflix, I was drawn to its trailer, teasing emotional reveals, personality transformations and an all-round better approach to living life.  However, I held off diving straight in, as it was all about tidying your own home, and I still didn’t have one.  The room I rent is large enough that I can leave socks on the floor and not come across them again for another week, allowing me to pursue the feast and famine approach to tidiness I cultivated during my year abroad in Germany, when renting an even larger room meant that possessions would go unnoticed for months at a time, as long as I could walk around them.  But the days of renting are soon to be behind me, with the purchase of my first flat progressing as fast as the dusty legal staff of a conveyancer up north can process my contracts (ie not very).  Next month, then, I will be a homeowner.  The socks I leave on the floor will be on my own actual floor.  My binary approach to tidying might in fact give way to fastidious house-pride.  With the torture of waiting to move almost over, I decided it was time for a tiny little Japanese lady to tell me how to put my socks away.


So, in Tidying Up With Marie Kondo, Netflix have taken on a best-selling author (our Marie) and given her a show (building on last week’s point about people who make telly probably making their next bit of telly on Netflix (Lunatics) – now people who do other things will be doing their next thing on… you guessed it, Netflix).  TV has a long heritage in telling us what to do.  BBC News coverage has focused in recent times on giving platforms to right-wing politicians.  We had the Supernanny, telling various spoiled brats that their behaviour was “not ’cceptable” when it was their weak parents she should have been punishing.  There was How Clean Is Your House?, hosted by Kim and Aggie as they sniffed people’s grease traps and got elbow deep in their u-bends (leading on to the seminal moment where Kim told someone on Celebrity Big Brother that she “wouldn’t sh*t on [them] if [they] were on fire.”)  And who can forget You Are What You Eat, where “Dr” Gillian McKeith had the audacity to tell people (in a Scottish accent) that they had produced “a poor excuse for a poo” while holding Tupperware filled with their crap.  But once we’ve cleaned our house, made the dinner and raised the bastard kids, who’s going to help us tidy up?  Enter Kondo.


The premise of the show is that Marie goes around a diverse array of American households (mostly within driving distance of LA) to help families whose possessions have begun to posses them.  From empty nesters to expectant parents, new couples transitioning to adulthood or a widow faced daily with her dead husband’s shirts, Marie shows them how to let go of the past and take with them into their future only what they need.  If you’re thinking this sounds like a trashy piece of daytime TV you might find on a channel aimed at women down the bottom of the EPG, then you’d be right.  It is.  But, somehow, with the Netflix name attached, it’s become essential viewing for conversation as an office drone.  Fair play to Kondo, though: without even bothering to learn English, she’s getting herself wheeled out to show us how to organise, fold and store the things we need to live life.


Each of the eight episodes (of surprisingly inconsistent length) unfolds along a certain formula.  Marie Kondo is depositing by a black people-mover in a neighbourhood, gasping whimsically as if she’s never seen a bloody house or pavement before, before trotting up to ring the bell.  Scurrying after her is her translator, Marie Iida.  Each time the door is opened to them, the Maries erupt into high-pitched exclaiming, that I assume is some sort of greeting, which the nervous families then mirror, resulting in the bulk of each show being made of grown adults squealing in doorways and hugging or shaking hands awkwardly.  But that bit somehow never gets tiring, and it’s always edited so you can’t really tell if Marie Iida has been completely ignored again, or if people have bothered to acknowledge the poor dear as an actual human being (with sick language skills).


Desperate for her help, everyone shows Marie Kondo round each nook and cranny of every closet and cupboard so she can judge their mess.  The worse it is, the more she squeaks.  She quite likes to climb in things too, and it’s at these moments you wonder if she isn’t really just taking the piss.  Things then get serious again as she goes through her house-greeting ceremony.  For someone quite jittery and polite, this attention-seeking rigmarole of kneeling on the floor with her eyes closed while everyone wonders how much stranger things will get seems oddly grand.  It’s most powerful when the families join in and realise that the homes whose mess is making their lives a misery are also abodes of fond memories, where they have raised kids and lived through happiness.  You may be touched.


And then off we go, getting out all the clothes (all of them!) to make a mountain of crap tops on a bed.  Marie tells her students to go through them one by one, thanking the ones they are letting go of, and keeping only those that spark joy.  Hopefully they don’t find themselves throwing out all their underpants, but we don’t see this bit as Marie skips off and leaves us all wondering if the family will ever be able to sleep now that their beds are covered in everything they’ve ever (or never) worn.  But I do like this bit – there is something to be said for purging clothes.  Not much is made of where everything ends up – are we talking a landfill, a public burning, or, as some episodes indicate, goodwill?  I’ve been known to go through all my clothes and get rid of anything I’ve not worn between moves, as this means I’m simply packing and unpacking something that serves no purpose.  I do feel guilty for the people in Age UK on Clapham High Street taking my poor style choices, but they have since sent handy emails telling me my unflattering chunky knits have netted £8.33 to stop an old lady from freezing to a switched-off radiator this winter.  Talk about sparking joy!


Over a few weeks, the families tackle everything in their homes, taken through each grouped stage by Marie’s regular visits.  They sort books, categorise papers and toss out toys.  One of the best lessons is number 4: Kimono.  I’m not sure why Japanese dressing gowns get their own category, but that doesn’t stop Marie.  In various interstitials, she talks us through her logic, and we read the subtitles while she whips out the Japanese, but I end up getting distracted when I consider how many syllables it takes to utter the ground-breaking tidying up tip: put things in boxes.  Just when you think a sentence is finished, about ten to twelve more spare vowel sounds tumble out from beneath her rigid fringe.


We crescendo into the reveal scenes at the end.  It’s not always easy to make a tidy wardrobe look like a massive transformation, but the show does its absolute best, all while Marie’s apprentices wax lyrical about their new approach to life.  The slip into hoarderhood is slow and gradual, and everyone seems grateful to have tidied their way out of it, with renewed focus on keeping things spic and span.  If I’m honest, I’ve always enjoyed folding clothes.  An old housemate once accused me of working in a shop while watching me fold my t-shirts, and I have in fact looked on enviously during ill-advised trips to Primark where various assistants wheel round mobile folding platforms to return civilisation to stacks of sweatshop-sewn sweaters that have been disordered by low-income rummaging and perhaps ravaging.  I don’t know; I don’t go in Primark anymore because I’m not a tourist visiting London.  But I do have a recurring dream that involves me putting my folded clothes back in drawers and hanging up shirts.  To dream is to be freed from every restriction that reality imposes, yet I can imagine that it’s only Marie and I whose brains take this liberty and use it to act out banal chores.

I’ll conclude by heroing the real star of the show: Marie Iida.  I’ve already touched on how awkwardly she is edited out, but when it comes to voicing over Marie’s recommendations, Iida’s disembodied vocals are what communicate the KonMari method to us.  Her robotic tone gives everything a stilted and tentative approach to the instructions, but, luckily, these are Americans, and their enthusiasm for not drowning in old crap (as well as their impeccable manners) means there is little forceful resistance to either of the Maries and their lessons.  It remains only for me to say that, yes, if this is how Netflix wants me to tidy my home, then, once I own my home, I will be obeying.  With every penny tied up in fees and the deposit, there won’t be many possessions to tidy, but I’m fairly sure I’ll be sparking joy all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment